November 8, 2010

Get loopy: DIY Wool Felt Holiday Wreath

Call it a 'Christmas miracle' because I actually crafted something AHEAD of the season.  Presenting my DIY Handmade Wool Felt Looped Holiday Wreath:

To give you an idea of its lack of complexity, know that standing in the cutting line at the fabric store on a Saturday morning two weeks prior to Thanksgiving probably took longer than the actual execution of this project. 

Here's what you'll need:
+  3-inch x half-inch strips of multi-colored wool felt (if using three colors like me, plan for approximately 120 strips of each color).  I like wool felt because it has a vintage look about it.
+  8-inch foam circle
+  Hot glue gun
+  Satin ribbon


Glue the ends of your strips together to form loops.  There will be approximately five kabillion of these little loops when you're done.  Rest assured, you'll need nearly all of them.  

After all your loops are made, it's time to glue them to your wreath.  I started at the center and then filled in toward the inside and outside of the circle.

When it's all filled in, tie a colored satin ribbon (I used chocolate brown) to hang and you're done!

I'm thinking this might be a nice little gift to giveaway later this week.  Check back for details!  :)
Photobucket

18 comments:

Christina said...

Looks great. Love the color combo.

Mandy England said...

This is gorgeous! And I'm super impressed by how early you made it! :]

Amy said...

Look at you! I am so impressed you are way ahead of the season. I'm just now working on a "give thanks" banner for our mantel. I haven't even thought about Christmas yet!

Adorable and super easy. My kind of project!

Two Little Tots said...

LOVE it! And I am going to the fabric store today...how much fabric did you buy?

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I love the colors! Nothing's better than a simple project!!
Great job!

LeighAnne said...

Very nice! You did achieve a nice vintage look with the wool felt. And I love your choice of color for the satin ribbon-- wouldn't have thought to use chocolate brown, but I love it! Great job!

ThatsWhatSheSaid said...

About how much did the whole thing run?

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

Thanks, everyone! I bought way too much fabric, but would guess that you only need about a quarter-yard of each color if you're doing a three-color combo wreath. As for total cost of materials, it's under $20. :)

Pondering Jane said...

All right Lelan...with my free time coming this weekend I really might give this a try. The thought of going to a craft store excites me. The thought of knowing what I'm going there for preventing me from wandering around aimlessly admiring the creativity that others have and I lack, takes the pressure off. Plus, I'll feel really crafty showing it off to visitors! Thanks!

hiyaluv said...

so cute:) i may have to try this out:)
gina

Sarah @ The Doormouse House said...

I love the colors you chose! I've been looking everywhere for a decently inexpensive Christmas wreath - I think I may have found it. :)

The Bonjour Four said...

awesome!! the colors are perfect!

What I Did Today said...

Why don't they ever have more people cutting at Joan Fabrics? It's the worst when you've got tired babies with you! On a more positive note, that wreath is awesome! And you finished it before Thanksgiving?!?? Impressed/Jealous. :)

Kimia Kline said...

such an awesome idea!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

Lori said...

This is GORGEOUS and now I need to plan a trip to the craft store for a wreath form!

Maggie said...

it looks beautiful!! i might try to modify it to make one with paper that my pre-k class can assemble together...thanks for the inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

I love this wreath. I can't seem to get enough of felt lately. I'm including this in my Friday Favorites tomorrow!