September 15, 2010

The Great Cupcake Debate

There are a lot of hot political issues in the mainstream right now, but none can hold a candle to what I'm calling The Great Cupcake Debate.

THE ISSUE
My "opponent" and friend Sara (who is a cupcake baker/decorator extraordinaire) believes she should offer her clients a healthy cupcake option for children's parties.  They would be lower in calorie than traditional cupcakes and probably use some form of alternative frosting, or none at all. 

MY SIDE OF THE AISLE
A healthy AND delicious cupcake ranks right up there in exisitence with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.  Nice in theory, but no actual substance.

Oh sure, you can use applesauce instead of oil and play the alternative ingredients game, but really? A healthy cupcake?  I see it as either a complete oxymoron or call it what it really is: a breakfast muffin...that no one wants to eat. 

BOTTOM LINE
I get the need to perhaps offer an allergen-free cupcake option, but a designated healthy cupcake for a kid's birthday should be reserved ONLY for children specifically allergic to delicious fun.

My people: your opinion?

Photobucket

12 comments:

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I vote for good old fashioned cupcakes! *unless someone has a legit health issue*

hiyaluv said...

it comes down to taste for me. how is the frosting on the "healthy" cupcake?
:)gina

Kristy {the purple pug} said...

I would never vote against sugar, lard and high calorie fabulousness. Old School cupcakes RULE.
However, I do think she will find a market for those-I think there are a lot of Moms who at least want to offer a healthier alternative. Actually, I think it is a good idea..I guess it would all come down to how good she could make them taste...LOL!

Mandy England said...

Haha, I agree with you... nice in theory, but I'm gonna go with the yummy cupcake [aka "bad" cupcake]

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Ok, I love cupcakes, who doesn't? BUT, I would love a healthier option (sorry ladies). Yup, I'm that sort of health nazi Mama. Special occasions? eat the good stuff but if you frequent the shop often, a pumpkin based cupcake wouldn't be horrible - think of it has a lower fat muffin, sort of a cupffin (not that most muffins are healthy but you get my drift).

Sara D. said...

I'm with Gina on this one...it's the frosting that does it. I'm not sure what you substitute for sugar, milk or butter in a frosting recipe, but I'm guessing it can't compare to good ol' fatty frosting. And none of that whipped stuff--why even bother.

Listen, I am all for healthy. I mean, I don't feed my kids pixie sticks for dinner or anything. But I tend to be an all or nothing type of personality, and if I focused on making everything my kids ate "healthy", I would drive myself nutso. We eat fruits and veggies. We also eat McDonalds. I don't beat myself up if I nuke chicken nuggets for dinner once a week. For heavens sake, I was raised on Spam, and I am a specimen of health. I need to be flexible, and I need my kids to be flexible, more than I need to be obsessive over sodium content.

Ms. Emmy N said...

Couldn't agree more! Healthy and cupcake just don't mix ~ plus, the beauty of a cupcake is the small size, its worth the indulgence every now and then!

Into Ablivia said...

I vote for yummy vs. healthy. Esp if it is only a once in a while treat at a party or something!

Two Little Tots said...

love a good (bad) cupcake...I don't want anything healthy in it!

Tasha said...

I am with you. If you are having a cupcake then it is probably for a special occasion. And well, special occasions should have a good yummy fabulous cupcake. I vote no healthy cupcake. :)

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

For the most part (ahem, Jessica...), I'm glad you all agree with me. A cupcake is to be indulged! Besides, a "healthy cupcake" is a crummy cupcake if you ask me. I'm just saying. :)

What I Did Today said...

If she could come up with a chocolate frosted, dairy-free, soy-free, but not sugar-free cupcake I would totally buy it!!!